Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

What the hell happened to shorts?

This is a legitimate question. I always forget why I hate shopping for clothes in the Summer and then I try on a few things in the dressing room and immediately remember.

Clothing designers are doing a disservice to a majority of women by making pants and shorts low waisted and designing them so that if you drop something, you better have on some fancy underwear because the whole world will see it. I just don't remember having these issues in my youth. Pants were not at hip level and I could never tell who was wearing a thong because bending over in normal pants and shorts wasn't the equivalent of a strip tease. And yes, I am pretty modest when it comes to clothing, but I'm not a prude. I don't mind shorts that are above the knees, or a little crop in the top, but when I can't even find shorts for my 9 year old daughter that don't nearly show her crotch, you know something is wrong with the world!

This rant is brought to you by this morning's shopping adventure. I tried on a pair of shorts today that were a little shorter than I usually wear but lo and behold, the back was so low, I would never have been able to wear them in public without worrying I'd be mistaken for a plumber. So, I am now faced with the burden of driving all over town to hunt down shorts that will actually fit me. I tried to do the same thing last year but I guess there is a reason I only own two pairs of shorts...


Ugh.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously! Shorts are out of control. I don't own any shorts at the moment, sad but true. I've never had luck with them! I think I'm just going to attempt dresses all summer. Let me know if and where you find shorts that you like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a few new dresses and that is the plan for me as well, but I'd like some shorts for when I'm gardening, playing at the park, etc... I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete