Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

For the nerds.

I grew up with an Atari and a 19 inch black and white TV in the bedroom I shared with my older sister.
While I wasn't quite as interested in video games as my sister was, I did enjoy playing a little. We never did own a Nintendo. I think we borrowed our cousin's for about a year and it was then that I became familiar with that silly plumber and his shroom addiction. As a teenager I was barely entertained by an hour at the arcade. Maybe a couple games of Pac-Man or a zombie fight but that was all I could take.
It wasn't until I started dating my now husband, that I became reacquainted with "gaming" and although it still isn't something I do very often, I can appreciate its value.

The one game I will always cherish is Animal Crossing and I will tell you why.

My husband bought it while we were dating. Actually, right after we started living together. He knew I'd enjoy it because no one dies and the whole point of the game is to have fun, run around a forest and catch bugs. My kind of game. I was so addicted to this game! It is played in real time so when you play the game at night, it is night in the game. If it was the 4th of July, you could stay up late (in the game) and watch for fireworks. Well, on Christmas morning in 2002, my husband proposed to me in this game. His character wrote a note to my character and sent me on a goose-chase to where I would eventually hoist a flag with an engagement ring drawn on it. Super nerdy? Yes. Super romantic? Of course!

Over the years I played here and there. Eventually motherhood duties and housecleaning (and yes, Facebook) took time and energy away from playing games. But that is all about to change...
A new Animal Crossing game is out and it just arrived in my mailbox! I'm super excited to start playing again. This time, I'll let my kids watch me play and hopefully they'll get into the fun too!
So, what were/are some of your favorite games? Any childhood gaming memories? Share them with me!

1 comment:

  1. So romantic. First time I've heard about a video game proposal!

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete