Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Exercise for the soul...

I have been easing into my fitness routine and I am making an effort to be more active. Hashimoto's Disease can wipe a person's energy out and that was the case for me before my last pregnancy. So starting two weeks postpartum, I began walking a couple of times a week. I try to walk at least three times a week now but I know I need to step it up, not just for my body, but for my soul. Even when it is difficult to get out of bed, I find great relief in getting outside before the sun comes up and breathing in the new day's crisp air. And, I may have committed to my first 5 k in over a year. Sure, it isn't a long distance, but it may be just what I need to keep myself motivated.

I have slowly but steadily continued to lose weight. I needed to lose weight before I got pregnant and with a bastardly thyroid, it seems darn near impossible to keep my weight below 160. I am not going to be obsessed with losing a ton of weight as I have learned to love my body and the extra skin that reminds me I have birthed four beautiful children. However, I do want to maintain my health and would feel better physically if I could lose more weight. My pregnancy complications with Immy, lead me to gain a little over 30 lbs. (mostly excess amniotic fluid) and thanks to sweet baby Jesus, I ended up losing 30 lbs. two weeks after she was born (20 in the first week). But now I need to push myself a little harder and teach myself to LOVE exercise. And I know the biggest challenge is getting out the door everyday. I don't want to take time away from my family but I am realizing that a few times a week, a few hours, that is time I need to spend working on me. And even though it is to benefit my body, it also greatly lift my spirits. Turning up the music in my headphones, focusing on the little signs nature gives me, I am able to reflect on my life and my ups and downs, and I come out feeling like I had a therapy session. It is truly amazing what getting outside can do! So, here I go! Starting tonight, I am going to try to run more than walk, do more yoga at home, and make a little more time for me.
I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment