Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Art of Learning to be Patient...

I'm exhausted.

I've had issues with my thyroid since high school. Back then I could not gain weight to save my life. Boy, what a problem to have, right? But with daily meds I started controlling the symptoms. For some reason I was taken off of the meds and didn't think or worry about anything for a while. It wasn't until I had my first child that my thyroid started messing up again. This time it was causing heart palpitations, panic-attacks, weight gain and I was always feeling tired. A new doctor got me on a different prescription and we had to up the dose a few times in the last nine years to regulate my thyroid. It stayed perfect throughout my last two pregnancies. That is just one way the thyroid can cause issues. If levels are off, a woman can have trouble conceiving and even carrying a pregnancy. In fact, as luck would have it, I was fine until we started trying for another baby. In the last few months I have returned to that state of exhaustion and feeling off. After a visit with my GP last month, it seems my thyroid is being a jerk again and I am waiting patiently to see if the higher dose will bring it back to normal levels. I actually suffer from Hashimoto's, which occurs when a person's body creates antibodies to attack the thyroid. In an average person there could be a few antibodies present at any time. When first tested, I had over a thousand. So yeah, I guess the jerk is actually my body and my thyroid is just a helpless victim...

So now I wait...wait to see if the higher dose will regulate my thyroid hormones enough to succeed at getting pregnant. It could take a few weeks (or more) so of course my hopelessly impatient self will be trying to pass the time keeping busy with projects. We have a vacation coming up next week which will be a good distraction. I'm trying hard to stay positive and remember that everything has a perfect time and that the more I worry, the more stress I am inviting into my world. And I don't need any more stress!!!

Just keep me in your thoughts if you will. I'm going to need a lot of good thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. That sucks that you're dealing with the thyroid issues again. It does seem really tricky. I knew someone who had Hashimoto's and her last name was Hashimoto which was beyond ironic.
    I hope you have a wonderful vacation! I will definitely be sending good thoughts your way. I've got my fingers crossed for you to get pregnant again. I do know worrying and stress seems to be the biggest impediment to that. If you ever figure out how to stop worrying, clue me in! ;-) Can't wait to hear all about your time away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouragement! I'm looking forward to getting out of town and enjoying our family up North. I'm trying to kick the anxiety's butt so hopefully I succeed!

    ReplyDelete